Bolton Wanderers 2-2 Arsenal
Djorkaeff 74, Keown(OG) 84 Wiltord 47, Pires 56
Jaaskelainen, N'Gotty, Laville, Bergsson, Gardner, Frandsen, Mendy, Campo, Okocha, Djorkaeff, Pedersen,
Seaman, Lauren. Cole, Campbell, Cygan, Parlour, Ljungberg, Silva, Pires, Henry, Wiltord
Barness, Andre (Mendy 71) , Ballesta (Pedersen 83), Nolan (Campo 71), Poole
Luzhny (Ljungberg 64), Keown (Cygan 67), Van Bronckhorst (Lauren 72), Bergkamp, Taylor
Yellow : Laville 31 90, Campo 60
Red Card: Laville 90
Yellow : Henry 33, Parlour 79
Djorkaeff Brings Wanderers Back
Click to view

Keown's Blunder
Click to view

A Vital Point As Wanderers Show Heart

Anyone looking at this fixture would have said it was a certain win for The Gunners. A few months ago, when Wanderers were in the bottom three and struggling and Arsenal were at their flowing best, it would have turned out that way. But a few months is a long time in football..

In the first half, Bolton's confidence and coherence gave Arsenal problems, never allowing them to settle and play the patient game they preferred. Indeed the two best chances of the half went to Wanderers, an Okocha free kick being deflected just wide and Pedersen putting a shot inches wide of the far post froma tight angle, after ref Andy D'Urso got in the way at the edge of the Arsenal box (surely if we had scored, it would have been a cardinal refreeeing sin?). In fact D'Urso was a major reason for the somewhat scrappy nature of the first half. He was far tooready to blow his whistle. At one point it seemed whenever a player hit the ground he gave a free kick, regardless of the level or legality of any contact.

The second half opened with a bang though, as Henry haired down the wing into the into the box to lay the ball into the path of Wiltord close in to tap the ball past Jaaskelainen with the Bolton defense trailing in their wake. It got worse soon after as Arsenaal stretched evenb further ahead. Farndsen tried to keep the ball in play out on the wing only to be robbed by Ashley Cole. The ball was worked into the centre and Pires, who placed a curling shot into the side netting, leaving Jussi stranded.

So 2-0 up and only 10 minutes in the half played, you'd have expected The Gunners to coast through to the final whistle. Wanderers however have acquired a great deal of confidence and will in recent times, and were not conmtent to make up numbers. They pushed forward and forced Seaman into a couple of good saves, particularly one close in effort by Pedersen he did well to palm away. With quarter of an hour to go, Bolton gained a corner and worked a short corner routine between Djorkaeff and Okocha. The ball was headed clear and fell to Frandsen. HIs low shot from the edge of the box cannoned back off the base of the post andf was pounced on by Djorkaeff, who calmly clipped the ball back into the net. Several Bolton players had been in an offside position but not 'active' presumably, but Djorkaeff was aonside when Frandsen struck his shot. 2-1

Bolton piled forward and Arsenal looked jittery. They had had several defensive injuries and the substitutes - particularly Oleg Luzhny - looked uncomfortable. With 5 minutes left, Pierre-Yves Andre chased a ball down into the corner it resulted in Bolton getting a wide free kick. Djorkaeff curled the ball towards the back poist and a crowd of players jumped for it. The ball bounced off the crowd (later review showed Martin Keown got the significant touch) past the stranded keeper. Bolton were level and franlkky deserved to be.

Of course it wouldn't be a proper premiership game without a ludicrous piece of refereeing and it came as the final whistle was about to blow. Florent Laville had been booked in the first half and went in for a high ball with Ashley Cole. Cole went down like his leg had been broken and D'urso gave Laville a second yellow, meaning he will miss the final game of the season against Boro There's an opinion floating around that a lot of players seem to get sent off after rather innocuous tackles on Ashley Cole and maybe this might not be coincidental. All I can see is the tackle was for a ball that was loose and contact was minimal, yet Cole fell as if he'd been seriously injured....